Did you know that WordPress was introduced as a blogging platform? However, this website builder platform evolved over time to support more complex functionalities. Within a few years of its introduction, WordPress became one of the most popular content management systems, supporting personal, business, and all other types of websites. It is now used by over 75 million websites. But the question is, …
Can you build a complex website with WordPress? Yes, you can build a complex website with WordPress. One of the most attractive aspects of WordPress is its scalability, which makes it an ideal platform for websites that grow. WordPress offers the required flexibility to expand your website as needed. However, you will need more than just the basic installation for enhanced features. You should also have some knowledge of coding to tap into the backend code and extensively customize WordPress websites. By enhancing the available WordPress themes and plugins, you can build a powerful, complex website with every imaginable feature.
To understand the scope of WordPress customization, let’s first understand the history and evolution of WordPress.
The Inception And Growth Of WordPress
Before website builders were developed, you had to know at least the basics of coding to build a website. However, website builders like WordPress made it possible to develop websites without touching a line of code.
The idea of WordPress was born when the popular software b2/cafelog was forked to create WordPress. It was introduced as a blogging platform for writers and bloggers.
In its initial form, WordPress was just a simple point-and-click interface that allowed users to set up a website with just a few clicks. So, anyone with decent computer skills could use it to create a basic website. However, it was only a matter of time before WordPress grew to address additional needs.
Soon the user interface expanded. Themes and Plugins were introduced to improve the functionality of WordPress. In due course, eCommerce functionality was added, and users could operate online stores through WordPress.
Related Further Reading:
- How To Make A Website Without Writing A Single Line Of Code
- How To Make A Great Looking WordPress Website For eCommerce
- 17 Evergreen Color Palettes for Business Websites
Each new release of WordPress brought forth newer and better features. And the platform kept growing.
Now, WordPress has a solution for almost everything. Whether your website has many contributors and you work with different custom content types, you can make it with WordPress.
With the right infrastructure, resources, and services, you can customize WordPress for the smallest details and build highly engaging websites with cutting-edge features.
Who Can Benefit From WordPress Websites?
WordPress is easy to install, maintain, and update. Hence, it is suitable for users of all levels. WordPress will address your needs, whether you need a simple blogging website that receives less than a thousand views a month or a multi-user website with different levels of permissions receiving millions of visitors a month.
As a full-featured content management system, WordPress is a very powerful software. It allows you to manage all the aspects of a website from a single base. You can also add complex features with minimum hassle.
Popular big-name brands like BBC America, Sony Music, Microsoft News, and Vogue use WordPress websites. Let us dive in and find out why WordPress is the top choice for these complex, professional websites.
Why Is WordPress Preferred For Complex Websites?
WordPress is suitable for basic and complex websites. However, it really shines when you need specialized web features, or you have lots of content to upload.
The main reason is that most of the groundwork is already laid out. WordPress comes with ready-to-use themes and plugins that make it easy to achieve different goals. If you were developing your website from scratch, you would have to develop your themes and plugins on your own. And that would involve a lot of code mess. WordPress simplifies and streamlines the entire process.
Here are some more reasons why WordPress is suitable for complex websites:
- Easy For Non-Technical Users: You do not have to be tech-savvy to manage a large website powered by WordPress. The content builder has thousands of well-supported themes that create a framework to work with. The navigation is well laid-out. So, you can easily find your way around.
- Immense Flexibility: WordPress has an impressive number of themes and plugins. Not only does it allow you to design your website with a relevant theme, but you can also change it in the future if the need arises. The wide array of plugins allows users to add or remove any feature they want.
- Plugins For Almost Everything Imaginable: WordPress plugins cover everything from monitoring site activity, giving SEO inputs, and preventing site attacks. These plugins are written in PHP, and they seamlessly integrate with WordPress. You can add all functionalities to your website by finding a suitable plugin for a feature that you need. Install the plugin, configure it, and you are ready to go. You can even alter the code to tweak available plugins and tailor it for specific requirements.
- Open-Source Code: Since all the code is shared and used by developers, you can easily find an expert to help you with your website development and maintenance. If you are unable to develop the website on your own or the original developer moves out, you have other options. There is a huge community of users and developers who can assist with upgrades and maintenance issues.
- The CMS Is Self-Sufficient: WordPress CMS covers almost every functionality and eliminates the need for additional software and coding. Whether it is to create and publish new blog posts, upload images, have eCommerce features on your website, collect data, or add video files, WordPress is suitable for all needs. You also have full ownership and control over your data.
- Supports Multiple Users: Complex websites usually have multiple users. With WordPress, you can enable access for all these users and with varying levels of control. WordPress can power sites with high volumes of customers and data storage.
Interesting Further Reading:
- 11 Best WordPress Training Courses Of All Time
- How Long Will It Take To Learn WordPress? (+Some Crucial Aspects)
Possible Challenges Of Scaling Up WordPress For Complex Websites
Although you can use WordPress for building complex websites, you will need more than just the basic installation.
You may face the following challenges when designing complex websites with WordPress.
- Search Feature: The internal search feature of WordPress isn’t of the best quality. So, if your website handles thousands of posts, you may have to turn to scalable open-source search solutions to improve the search speed and deliver faster results.
- Hardware limitations: WordPress needs supporting hardware to handle mounting traffic. For a complex website with huge amounts of traffic, you will need a powerful server to meet the demands.
- Theme and Plugin Updates: Fresh updates and bug fixes are constantly released for WordPress themes and plugins. You must be vigilant and prompt in enabling these updates to safeguard a complex website. Unlicensed versions and unused plugins can make your site vulnerable to attacks.
In A Nutshell…
For a growing website, increased traffic and advanced feature addition is a natural progression. As a limitless CMS with tremendous scalability, WordPress is well-equipped to handle this growth.
However, building a complex website and scaling it to grow with your business requires technical expertise. You will have to investigate the existing code base to implement various steps to improve and enhance your website. Nevertheless, you can build a robust website by identifying the scope and carefully designing the architecture to address your growing needs.